The RRS is filled with descriptions of Race Officials and how they are appointed.
- in RRS 89.2 we have the OA or WS appointing the RC and sometimes the PC/IJ
- RRS 91 describes various avenues of appointment for PC’s
- In Appx P, P1.1 "observers" are appointed by the PC
Also, there are WS Regulations and MNA Regulations and Championship/Event Conditions that can come into play depending on the level of event.
Here is a list of race officials mentioned in the RRS (let me know if I forgot any):
- Race Committee Members
- Protest Committee Members
- Technical Committee Members
- International Jury Members
- Appx P Observers
- Appx T Arbitrator (though Appx T doesn't specifically describe how arbitrators are appointed, the WS Judges' Manual mentions it is a "judge" who may or may not be a PC member that is chosen by the PC).
Other than appointing someone with a significant conflict of interest, are there circumstances (examples of) where an appointment can be done improperly, such that the appointment could be invalidated?
Except for Appx N1.7 and N1.8 which requires certain appointments to be posted on the ONB, are there any other places in the rules, or other circumstances/examples, that require the publication/notice-to-competitors of appointments of Race Officials?